Forums
Shkodra -Lajme - Forum - Chat - Muzik - Radio -Video - TV :: Forums :: Forumi i ShkodraOnline.com :: Ekonomia

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Albanian Economy
Go to page  1 2 3
Moderators: :::ShkoderZemer, SuperGirl, babo, ⓐ-ⓒⓐⓣ, Edmond-Cela, ::bud::, ~*Christel*~, Al Bundy, :IROLF:, ::albweb::, OLIVE OYL
Author Post
L - N
Thu May 20 2010, 09:05am
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

Raiffeisen forecasts 3.5% economic growth for Albania in 2010

Balkan Business News Correspondent in Tirana - 20.05.2010
The Albania's economy had managed to preserve its positive economic performance for the third year in a row, Raiffeisen Research, part of the RZB group , reported in its latest publication.

“After Albania's economy grew by 7.8% in 2008 and over 3% in 2009, the experts of Raiffeisen estimate that the country will still experience the highest growth in Southeastern Europe. This growth is estimated to be at some 3.5%,” Raiffeisen reported.

The same sources added that the growth in 2011 was expected to be even higher reaching the level of approximately 5%.

“Last year, Albania was the only country in the region to experience economic growth. This is a big success for the country and for its economic development,” Executive Director of Raiffeisen International Bank-Holding AG Herbert Stepic said.

In 2004, Raiffeisen International purchased the state-owned Bank of Savings turning it into Raiffeisen Albania. Raifeisen Bank is the major bank in Albania with a 28% market share.

“We are very pleased over our presence in Albania. The country's authorities have created the necessary conditions for the development of the sector and we are happy to have participated and contributed in this development,” Stepic said.

Source:balkans.coms
trokit ketu

[ Edited Thu May 20 2010, 09:07am ]

Ju pershnes tanve. Ju falemnders per shoqnin tuej, e ju prift e mara tanve pa perjashtim. Kam ndryshue shpin, e kam shkue me shpi te
... Me vjen keq po s'kam mundsi me u dukt ma ktej parit. Ju pershnes me mirnjohje e dashamirsi.

L - N
Mon May 24 2010, 03:29pm
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

E.ON Ruhrgas joins Trans Adriatic Pipeline
Author: Kostis Geropoulos
23 May 2010 - Issue : 886

E.ON Ruhrgas, Germany’s largest importer of natural gas, will join a consortium that is developing a pipeline project to bring natural gas to Europe from the Caspian region via Greece and Albania and across the Adriatic Sea to Italy. In a joint statement, Statoil and EGL on 20 May announced the divestment of a combined stake of 15% in the Trans Adriatic Pipeline project (TAP) to E.ON Ruhrgas. The new shareholder structure of the TAP project now comprises of EGL holding a 42.5% share, Statoil holding a 42.5% share and the new partner E.ON Ruhrgas holding 15%. TAP said in a press release that it still remains open for additional partners to join the project. The new shareholder agreement was signed in Brussels on 20 May. Due to regulatory requirements, the deal is expected to be concluded by the end of June.
A day earlier in future transit country Greece, Henning Hanssen, TAP Application Manager, asked if E.ON’s participation in the project will be a step in the realization of the TAP project, told New Europe in the sidelines of an energy conference in Athens that E.ON Ruhrgas is a big company with technological expertise, which is involved in gas projects in the upstream and downstream sectors, and will strengthen the project.
TAP plans to link existing and planned natural gas transport grids in Southeast Europe with gas systems in Western Europe via Italy, the Adriatic Sea, Albania and Greece.

Asked if the consortium has signed any contracts with suppliers for the 520-kilometer long pipeline, Stathis Theodoropoulos, TAP Senior Country Consultant – Greece, told New Europe that none of the planned pipelines in the region have signed any contracts. “Show me one group that has signed a contract. I would really like to meet them,” he joked. The realization of TAP will ensure that Europe has a direct and cost efficient access to the major natural gas reserves of the Caspian region and the Middle East, thereby contributing to European energy security, the press release read.
Rune Bjornson, Executive Vice President for Natural Gas at Statoil, was quoted as saying in the press release: “We are very pleased to welcome on board E.ON Ruhrgas as a new partner in TAP. Today’s move will further strengthen the TAP project and its ability to compete for gas volumes to be transported from the Caspian region to Europe.” He added: “Statoil as a resource owner in Shah Deniz is delighted to note the recent positive developments with regards to a potential gas package deal between Turkey and Azerbaijan. Such an agreement will pave the way for the development of new gas resources to the European market in which Statoil will be a key provider.”
Jochen Weise, Member of the Board of Directors and Head of Gas Supply for E.ON Ruhrgas said: “By joining TAP we are enabling our company to place its already well diversified supply portfolio on an even broader foundation in the future, thus making an important contribution to security of supply in Europe and particularly, in southern and south-eastern Europe. With this investment, E.ON Ruhrgas focuses on the expansion of national or international transmission infrastructure. Such investments in European gas infrastructure combined with long-term gas supply contracts are indispensable so as to ensure European gas supply on a long-term basis at the familiar high standards of reliability.”

Source:Copyright © The Media Company S.A. 2009.
trokit ketu

Ju pershnes tanve. Ju falemnders per shoqnin tuej, e ju prift e mara tanve pa perjashtim. Kam ndryshue shpin, e kam shkue me shpi te
... Me vjen keq po s'kam mundsi me u dukt ma ktej parit. Ju pershnes me mirnjohje e dashamirsi.

L - N
Mon May 24 2010, 03:47pm
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

UNIFI Communications Announces Undersea Cable Project With Interoute

UNIFI Communications, a leading US-based international carrier, and Interoute Communications, the owner/operator of Europe’s most advanced fiber network, today announced the signing of an agreement whereby Interoute will provide the landing solution in Italy for Albania’s first competitive undersea fiber optic cable, to be constructed as the first phase of UNIFI’s Balkans-Italy Network (“BIN”) project, which is expected to begin providing service in Albania by 1Q2011.

Under the agreement, Interoute is responsible for providing the required facilities and support in Italy to allow UNIFI’s undersea cable to land and connect through Italy to major telecommunications Network Access Points (“NAPs”) located in Milan, Italy and Frankfurt, Germany. Adrian Shatku, President and CEO of UNIFI, explained “We selected Interoute as our landing solution partner because Interoute has a competitive edge in terms of expertise, experience and Europe’s most advanced network. Thanks to its network connections Interoute also gives us the flexibility we need for the future, including the ability to connect with other network operators at the Italian cable landing station and throughout Europe.. With this flexibility, UNIFI can market and sell many types of network services, including wholesale Internet transport at up to Gigabit speeds, all types of other bandwidth services and dark fiber connectivity to Albania from Italy or from other parts of Europe. Naturally, our network will be built using the state-of-the-art fiber optic and Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (‘DWDM’) technologies, providing virtually unlimited bandwidth capability and much needed diversity for Albania and eventually for the entire Balkan region.”

According to UNIFI’s plans, the first phase of BIN aims to provide seamless optical connectivity into Tirana, the capital city of Albania, which is some 40 km inland from the 240 km Adriatic Sea crossing. The next immediate steps for UNIFI will involve finalizing the selection of its undersea cable supplier, and meeting with potential partners that may be interested in modifying the cable configuration to include one or more branching units for expedited future connection of additional cable segments to other countries, such as Montenegro, Greece, or perhaps even Middle Eastern countries across the Mediterranean Sea.

Also as a part of the first phase, UNIFI plans to establish Albania’s first NAP, which will facilitate interconnections among the country’s telecom operators and ISPs, and is expected to become a major telecommunications hub for the Balkan region. To address region-wide market needs, UNIFI plans for subsequent phases of BIN to include development of additional terrestrial connectivity into the neighboring countries — Greece, Kosovo, Macedonia and Montenegro. Such fiber links will stimulate the growth of connectivity into other regional markets such as Bulgaria and Turkey.

“As early as next week, UNIFI expects to begin providing more information about the BIN project to potential customers, including pre-construction bandwidth sales incentives for transport services offerings in Albania,” noted Brian Crawford, Vice President of Business Development for UNIFI.

Gareth Williams, CEO of Interoute, commented “Interoute is proud to be involved in this significant digital step for Albania and Eastern Europe. It is a very exciting time for this region with many rapidly growing telecommunications markets. The extra capacity and resilience provided by this new cable will support new business growth and should encourage investment in Albania and the surrounding countries.”

About UNIFI Communications
UNIFI COMMUNICATIONS (pronounced “Unify” communications), headquartered in New York City, USA, is a major international voice carrier and a leading provider of enhanced telecommunication services and solutions. Service offerings include highly competitive wholesale voice termination services, pre-paid calling services partnerships (co-branding, marketing, and sales of partner services), solutions for enterprise customers (pure IP phone systems, International SIP trunks, etc.), customized mobile solutions (messaging, roaming, etc.), and network infrastructure development services (satellite, terrestrial, undersea, wireless, etc.). For more information about UNIFI, visit trokit ketu.

About Interoute
Interoute is the owner/operator of Europe's most advanced and densely connected voice and data network, encompassing over 55,000 km of lit fiber, 8 Data Centers, 32 purpose-built colocation centers and on-net to another 150 partner Data Centers across the European footprint. Interoute’s full-service next generation network serves international enterprises from a broad range of sectors including aerospace, automotive, finance, pharmaceutical and retail, plus every major European incumbent, as well as the major operators of North America, East and South Asia, governments, universities and research agencies. These organizations find Interoute the ideal partner for hosting content, providing wholesale bandwidth and transit services, corporate connectivity or creating new services. With established operations throughout mainland Europe, in North America and Dubai, Interoute also owns and operates dense city networks throughout Europe's major business centers. Providing service and support in 15 European languages, Interoute is a key part of Europe’s Digital Supply Chain. The network is future-proofed, endowed with Europe’s largest fiber and duct reserve, and is a leader in the deployment of advanced network technologies, from the ground to the Cloud. trokit ketu.

PR contacts:

For UNIFI Communications, Inc.

Brian Crawford, VP of Business Development
Telephone: +1-212-845-9095, ext. 111
Email: -email-

For Interoute Communications

Ruth Jones
Speed Communications
6th Floor
The Communications Building
48 Leicester Square
London WC2H 7LT

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7842 3263
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7842 3299
e-mail: -email-

Source:Copyright © 2009 Realwire Limited, all rights reserved
trokit ketu

L - N
Mon May 24 2010, 03:53pm
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

PM discusses opportunities in Albania for tourism, mining and energy

Michael Roberts - 24.05.2010
Premier Berisha took part in Saturday in the Regional Conference of SMEs and business meetings (B2B), organized by the Center for Entrepreneurship and Executive Development (CEED) with financial support from USAID.

The event represented a key opportunity for networking and business growth for local businesses and leaders from the region with a turnout of over 70 businesses and about 90 Albanian companies from Bulgaria, Slovenia, Romania, Serbia, Kosovo, Macedonia and Montenegro.

The Premier in his speech, said "Guests from different countries of the region and from around the world, I hope that during these days you'll find in Tirana, you will find in Albania, Albanian entrepreneurs in international entrepreneurs present in Albania, colleagues on the best to work together. I assure you, that you will have a real success story in this country."

He also announced an invitation to "view and set your dreams in my country setting your project here. "

The many opportnuities in mining, energy and tourism were presented. The premier announced that the country has a tremendous potential in the water. Has awarded more than 440 plants, 36 are under construction, among them the largest project in Europe. EVN consortiums, Statkraft, Verbund, and many other companies are working in Albania. The country has a long coastline, and average height to the top in Europe. In some areas it has natural wind platform, this is why we have licensed more than 1200 MW in 3200 and wind energy are being considered. Biomass and other energy sources are in the process, we are open to including nuclear power and are working to prepare the legal framework. tourist potential, I think right now one of the big ones in Europe in the world.

In discussions about tourism, the premier point out that Albania has 400 miles of coastline and that he is waiting for investment in this sector. he pointed out that the flows of tourists last year rose by 36%. In conclusion, he discussed the mining sector saying that the country is full of minerals and that Albania was the first countries in the world market of chrome. Our nickel deposits are higher than those of chromium. We are not rich in iron, nickel, etc. and in this country there are many other minerals. Source: Government of Albania

Source:balkans.com
trokit ketu

L - N
Wed May 26 2010, 05:20pm
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

CEED: Albania as one of the few “growth markets” in Europe that uniquely avoided recession in 2009

Balkan Business News Correspondent in Tirana - 26.05.2010

The United States Agency for International Development (USAID), through its implementing agencies and contractors, co-sponsored the 4th Regional CEED Conference and B2B Meetings with Albanian Businesses held last week in Tirana.

The Center for Entrepreneurship and Executive Development (CEED), active in seven Balkan countries outside Albania with funding from USAID, chose Albania for this year’s regional conference citing Albania as one of the few “growth markets” in Europe that uniquely avoided recession in 2009 with a GDP growth rate of 2.5%. The conference and business-to-business (B2B) meetings were also supported by USAID’s Rritje Albania – Competitive Enterprise Development Program, USAID’s Albanian Agriculture Competiveness Program, Raiffeisen Bank, The Albanian American Enterprise Fund, The Kauffman Foundation, Small Enterprise Assistance Funds, and EBRD’s TAM BAS Program. USAID’s Program Officer, Sean Huff, delivered remarks at the opening ceremony on Saturday morning following a welcome from the Prime Minister, Sali Berisha. In his welcoming remarks, the Prime Minister urged participants to consider Albania’s key role in the EU economy. "Before you decide to go to China, investors would better think to come to Albania which in fact is not a 1 billion market but is a European market."

The event was a key networking and business growth opportunity for Albanian and regional entrepreneurs, bringing together executives from over 60 Albanian businesses and from about 70 firms from Slovenia, Romania, Serbia, Macedonia, and Montenegro. “Firms that look outside their own borders for business opportunities tend to be stronger and better run than their competitors that do not attempt to expand internationally,” stressed the conference keynote speaker, Ms. Karen Wilson, Fellow of the US-based Kauffman Foundation, citing findings from her research on SME owners and entrepreneurs in Europe. By focusing on inspiring entrepreneurs who have successfully navigated the Albanian and regional landscape, the conference and B2B meetings spurred participating businesses to explore new partnerships and establish linkages that will help them expand. “Although the government clearly plays an important role in supporting private sector development, entrepreneurs themselves also have to take initiative to expand business. As entrepreneurs you’re the leaders, innovators, and risk-takers.” said USAID’s Program Officer, Mr. Sean Huff.

The event showcased opportunities for cross-border trade and investment in Albania’s industries to entrepreneurs from neighboring countries. More than 250 business-to-business (B2B) meetings were conducted between participating businesses. In the coming months, USAID will organize more B2B events to enhance business relationships and help generate new deals between Albanian enterprises and foreign buyers. USAID-funded projects support Albania’s economic growth by helping countries create an enabling environment for business expansion, delivering business development services to client enterprises, working closely with local and international experts, and fostering productive partnerships between public and private institutions.

About Rritje Albania: Rritje Albania, USAID’s Competitive Enterprise Development project, advances sustained, broad-based economic growth in Albania by expanding trade and investment, increasing enterprise productivity, and improving Albania’s workforce. The project assists non-agricultural enterprises in becoming more competitive, increasing sales, and creating additional jobs by expanding their businesses. Currently the project targets enterprises from five industries: tourism, textiles/garments, footwear, recycling, information and communications technology, and is looking to expand to support food processing. Source: USAID

Source: balkans.com
trokit ketu

L - N
Wed May 26 2010, 05:22pm
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

Albania has received an award from UN for improving public service transparency, accountability and responsiveness

Balkans.com Business News Correspondent in Tirana - 26.05.2010
Albania has received a 2nd place award from United Nations for improving transparency, accountability and responsiveness in the public service through the creation of the public procurement system, the UN’s United Nations Public Administration Network said in a statement

Albania’s procurement system had major problems that directly impacted its effectiveness, being a barrier to private businesses and the community from accessing tender documents to participate in the process, being affected by a lack of transparency in the procurement process, which lead to high-level corruption.

Albania became the first country in the world to develop an obligatory electronic procurement system for 100% for all public sector procurements above the threshold of 3,000 euro.

The electronic procurement platform is a web-based application that enables secure transactions among Albanian public institutions and the national and international business communities. It offers a secure, efficient and transparent preparation and administration of all tender-related documents, removing unnecessary paper work and providing secure data flow throughout the entire process.

trokit ketu

L - N
Tue Jun 01 2010, 05:12pm
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

Albania: “264 hydropower plants will be constructed under 98 concession agreements"-Dep Min

Balkan Business News Correspondent in Tirana - 01.06.2010

Investmentsin building and rehabilitation of hydropowers to reach 1.8 billion euros inAlbania, the Deputy-Minister of Economy, Trade and Energy Leonard Beqiri saidduring a press conference. “264hydropower plants will be constructed under 98 concession agreements,” thedeputy-minister said.

“Morethan a third of these facilities is in final construction phase and will soonlaunch operations. We note that some of the most important projects, which willbe implemented by strategic foreign investors, include the construction ofpower plants on the Devoll and Drin rivers, which are the country's keyhydropower resources,” he added.

Albaniaheavily relies on water resources to generate energy with some 98% of totalelectricity production coming from local hydropower plants.

trokit ketu

L - N
Fri Jun 11 2010, 04:57pm
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

After The Gulf: Is Albania The Next Oil Frontier?June 10, 2010 - 10:27 am

June 10, 2010 - 10:27 am

Marin Katusa is chief investment strategist for Casey Research's energy division.

After a troubled past, resource-rich Albania is trying to modernize itself into a good place to do business… and with astonishing success.

Over the years, we’ve visited Albania more times than we’d care to admit. Although it’s not a place we’d recommend for a family vacation, your investment dollars will find a happy home there. Unlike the rocky tale of Albania itself, the latest oil development stories are bound to have a much happier ending.

Albania, Diamond in the Rough?

Albania, about the size of Massachusetts, is surrounded by Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia, Greece, and the Adriatic Sea. It beats out only Moldova in gross domestic product (GDP) by population: at US$6,300 per person, it’s dwarfed by the likes of America (US$45,800 per person) and even financially buggered Greece (US$30,000).

A lack of consistent energy and transportation infrastructure is partly responsible for Albania’s sorry numbers. Areas outside capital Tirana and Durrës, a large port, still experience blackouts with fair regularity. Railways are limited, and while major cities are connected by highways, smaller roads can be relatively difficult to access and then to negotiate when you find them. The reasons the country is now having to play catch-up lie in 20th-century history.

Albania was one of the first casualties of World War II, when it was invaded by Italy on April 7, 1939, five months before Germany’s more famous invasion of Poland. It fell within the week. The country bounced between Italian, Greek, Bulgarian, and then German hands for the next five years before being liberated by communist Albanian partisans in November 1944.

In the years following World War II, Enver Hoxha, the first secretary of the Communist Party of Labor of Albania, moved into power. Hoxha did improve health care, literacy, and other aspects of everyday life, but the country’s economy in general stagnated. His isolationist policies and cult of personality discouraged international trade and, as a consequence, the development of infrastructure.

The book Albania: From Anarchy to Balkan Identity describes the country under Hoxha as "an island of increasing poverty and demoralisation, with a rapidly disintegrating infrastructure, crumbling buildings, malnourished and poorly clad workers and peasants using primitive agricultural equipment."

Hoxha finally died in 1985. Five years later, anti-communist sentiment swelled, and riots broke out within Albania as a result of overwhelming anti-communist sentiments. The personality cult of Hoxha was attacked in particular:

The end of Hoxha's rule, of communism in Albania, and of the Cold War in general brought economic improvements in the early 1990s as Albania struggled to transition to a multi-party, open-market system. Unemployment and inflation dropped while the country maintained a consistent 8% growth in its gross domestic product (GDP).

Unfortunately, inside that engine of newfound wealth were pyramid schemes set up by the unscrupulous, often with the backing of corrupt government officials. A substantial proportion of Albanians, unschooled in the workings of financial markets, were lured in by promises of high payouts. By the time these unsustainable investment schemes collapsed in early 1997, an estimated US$1.5 billion was invested among a population of less than 3.5 million. Life savings were wiped out for many Albanians, which led again to riots and an economic downturn. A new government, installed in the summer of 1997, struggled to restore public order and to revive trade and other healthy economic policies.

Looking for the Right Track

Albania today is still not without its problems. Roads total only 7,000 kilometers and railways 900 km. The country imports much of its electricity and most manufactured goods. Unemployment is high, and more than half the population is still involved in agriculture.

Relations with Serbia, Russia, and China have been strained since Kosovo, a largely ethnic Albanian region, broke with Serbia in 2008. Internally, its political parties are also less than warm and fuzzy: the main opposition boycotted (and is still boycotting) Parliament in June 2009, accusing the ruling party of electoral fraud.

On the business front, Albania has still not fully constructed its business regulatory framework, which could lead to long delays in obtaining permits and other properly ordered ducks. In fact, the World Bank’s “Doing Business” report stuck Albania at #173 out of 183 countries in dealing with construction permits, based on data from June 2008 to May 2009. (Overall, its “Ease of Doing Business” ranking is #82.)

Finally, Albania lacks pipelines, particularly in the north – a hurdle for oil and gas exploration and development:

Sooo… Why Albania?

There actually are some attractive aspects in the cheerful picture we’ve painted so far. For one thing, we’ve yet to talk about the amount of Albania’s hydrocarbon potential. Combined with gradual improvements in its political, financial, and social structures, Albania offers several investment advantages for risk-tolerant investors looking to get in near the ground floor. We’d be on the heels of several big names in the resource sector.

Here are the advantages we see in Albania. This list is the product of many trips to the country as well as research-based analysis:

Pro-America relationship. Politically, Albania is a close ally of the United States, and Albanians in general tend to be very fond of America. Many still regard Bill Clinton as a hero for saving Kosovars during the war in Kosovo. Having a pro-American and thus pro-West attitude in both government and general public means there is less chance of sudden nationalization, short of a civil war or coup d’état.

Stabilizing and pro-business government. Albania’s president, Bamir Topi, has been relatively quiet in his affairs and has a reputation for a nonpartisan approach. The most controversy he causes is his pro-Kosovo stance, which generally infuriates Serbia and Russia. A fair portion of his attention goes toward attracting more foreign capital into his impoverished nation. Much of his other time is spent trying to resolve the legislative boycott we noted above.

Some improvements so far under his administration:

– Gradual simplification of the administrative and business regulations

– Corporate taxes lowered to 10%

– Exemption of most businesses from the Value-Added Tax (VAT)

– Easier access to credit

– Regulation that provides greater protection for investors

Improvements in infrastructure.

With improvements in Albania’s economy have come upgrades in transportation and trade. There’s a new highway that runs along the coast, and another connects Durrës, the country’s main port, to the central Balkans via Kukës. Infrastructure is a primary focus of the current regime, as the government understands that attracting more foreign investment requires building a more modern network to move people and goods around.
Long record of oil production. Albania’s history with oil dates back some 2,000 years, when the Romans mined bitumen in the southwest (Apollonia, today the city of Fier) to caulk their ships. The first wells were drilled in the early 1900s, with Rockefeller's Standard Oil and the predecessor of BP, Anglo Persian Oil Company, leading the expansion of Albania’s oil industry. In 1932, the largest European onshore oil field was discovered at Patos-Marinza, now operated by Bankers Petroleum. Oil production only began to dwindle under the poor leadership of Hoxha in the communist era.

Good fiscal structure for oil.

Albania has improved its fiscal structure in the last decade. It’s dropped its production sharing agreements, for example, letting more profits stay with businesses. For those who like the details, here are the latest fiscal terms: an 11% to 15% overriding tax-deductible royalty, with a 50% petroleum tax on the income. The total government take at US$80 oil ranges from the just above 50% for large deposits to closer to 60% for small deposits. That’s slightly lower than the average government take in other developing countries.

Potential rewards.

In 2008, Switzerland-based Manas Petroleum (MNAP) announced it found an estimated 3 billion barrels of oil and 3 trillion cubic feet of natural gas at depth. That’s an awful lot of oil. Another success story is Bankers Petroleum (T.BNK), which in the past two years has taken off from a low of C$0.46 to its high of C$9.18 in early April 2010.
Clearly we see the potential to make plenty of money in Albania, despite the risks and potential difficulties. Fortunately for us number-crunching analysts, not many companies are currently operating there. The small field is narrowed even further when we focus just on the North American companies.

If you want to know which energy stocks are poised to profit handsomely from the opportunities in Albania, learn from the best in the field – Marin Katusa and his team. Marin, a former math professor and proficient early-seed investor with a vast network of industry connections, is a master in picking future stock winners in the junior exploration as well the large- to mid-cap energy sectors.

Marin Katusa is the chief investment strategist of the Casey Research energy division. He and his team provide independent analysis and investment guidance in Casey’s Energy Opportunities, covering large- and mid-cap energy stocks, and Casey’s Energy Report, which focuses on fast-moving opportunities in junior/small-cap exploration stocks for oil, gas, nuclear, coal, and renewable energies.

Source: blogs.forbes.com
trokit ketu

Casey Research Bullish on Albanian Oil

Combined with gradual improvements in its political, financial, and social structures, Albania offers several investment advantages for risk-tolerant investors looking to get in near the ground floor, Marin Katusa, Chief Market Strategist, Casey Research Energy Division reports in an assessment published on the Casey Research website. Katsua said investors would come on the heels of big names in energy and cites five advantages the Casey Research team sees in Albania: a pro-American relationship, a stabilizing and pro-business government which is simplifying business regulations and making access to credit easier to obtain, improving infrastructure and good fiscal structure for oil.
Katsua said the rewards in Albania are promising and cited the experience of Swiss-based Manas Petroleum (MNAP) and Bankers Petroleum (T.BNK).
Copyright 2010, Casey Research. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions Sitemap RSS Copyright © 2008 Eurasia Press, Inc. (USA). All rights reserved.
trokit ketu

[ Edited Fri Jun 11 2010, 04:59pm ]

L - N
Fri Jun 18 2010, 06:05am
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

Kosovo starts privatisation of postal, telecoms company

From AFP
Wednesday 16 June 2010

Country's biggest public company valued at up to €800 million.
The Kosovo government Wednesday launched the privatization of Post and Telecom, known as PTK, the largest public company, announcing that the funds raised will be invested in infrastructure.

"PTK will be privatized very soon to have more income for our huge economic priorities like finishing the Vermnica to Merdare highway," Prime Minister Hashim Thaci said after his cabinet endorsed the plan.

The highway will run from Serbia across to the Albanian border and is seen as a vital road linking Kosovo to the rest of Europe. Construction began in April.

As Kosovo's biggest public company, PTK is valued at around EUR700 million to EUR800 million.

The inter-ministerial commission, which is in charge of PTK's privatization, proposed selling 75% of its assets.

PTK provides mobile and fixed telephony, internet and postal services for the territory of Kosovo. It has around 1 million mobile phone customers.

© Terrapinn Holdings Limited
trokit ketu

L - N
Fri Jun 18 2010, 06:41am
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

Edison secures Turkish transit deal in bid to pipe Azeri gas to Italy

By Delphine Strauss in Ankara
Published: June 18 2010 03:00 | Last updated: June 18 2010 03:00

Edison's hopes of completing a pipeline link to bring Caspian gas to Italy were boosted yesterday by an agreement between the Italian energy group and Greek and Turkish state gas companies, setting a framework for transit across Turkey.

The Edison-led ITGI project aims to transport an annual 8bn cubic metres of gas to Italy, by upgrading existing infrastructure in Turkey and Greece and building a final link to Italy.

It is in a race to secure supplies from Azerbaijan's Shah Deniz II field with the more ambitious Nabucco consortium, which wants to pipe 30bcm of gas a year to central Europe, and the so-called TAP project to link Albania with Italy.

Roberto Poti, Edison's executive vice-president, said the memorandum of understanding signed yesterday in Ankara was "a big step forward" that would allow the consortium to finalise terms with Azerbaijan more rapidly.

The MoU does not include a final deal on fees for transit across Turkey, a crucial element before Edison can decide whether to go ahead with the €1.3bn ($1.6bn) investment.

The company said it must decide whether to proceed by the end of this year or early next in order to complete the infrastructure by 2017, when gas from Shah Deniz II is due to come online.

As part of the transit agreement, Turkey has acceded to "standard conditions" for transit, dropping a demand to buy a proportion of gas flowing through the pipeline at the producer's price.

In return, the MoU raises the possibility of Botas, Turkey's state gas company, participating in the joint venture between Edison and Greece's Depa that will build the offshore link between Greece and Italy.

ITGI's agreement follows a preliminary deal reached last week between Baku and Ankara on the price and quantity of Azeri gas supplies to Turkey: the two countries still need to thrash out details on transit, including whether Turkey will have the right to re-export some gas from Shah Deniz II.

Progress for ITGI will be less welcome to backers of Nabucco, as Shah Deniz II's maximum production of about 16bcm per year will be enough only for bilateral sales to Turkey, and for one of the three rival projects.

The European Union has thrown its support behind Nabucco to open the so-called "southern corridor" from Caspian producing countries to Europe, and reduce reliance on Russian gas. But it has designated both projects as strategic priorities and has offered financing of €100m to ITGI.

Turkey claims the rival pipelines are complementary, not competing. "Europe will be in need of all the gas to be carried by these complementary projects," said Fazil Senel, Botas' general manager.

Edison claims its project is more realistic than those of rivals, but Joschka Fischer, the former German foreign minister now advising Nabucco, argued in Istanbul last week that Turkey's future as a energy hub, "with political power" depended on realising the more ambitious project.

The other project is TAP, led by Norway's Statoil and EGL, a Swiss energy trading company, which is offering a final leg of pipeline from Albania to Italy.
Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2010. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.

© Copyright The Financial Times Ltd 2010. "FT" and "Financial Times" are trademarks of The Financial Times Ltd. Privacy policyTerm
trokit ketu

L - N
Wed Jun 23 2010, 11:26am
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

EUROPOLITICS / Sectorial policies
Energy Community could reach 24% renewables in 2020

Energy Community could reach 24% renewables in 2020
By Dafydd ab Iago | Tuesday 22 June 2010

Energy Community (EnC) countries could reach a share of 24% of energy sourced from renewables by 2020. A new survey, commissioned by the Energy Community's Secretariat, points to further steps towards the EnC's adoption of the EU's Renewables (RES) Directive (2009/28/EC). Contracting parties to the EnC have "vast" renewable energy potential, according to the report. Adopting binding renewables targets, as in the 2009 RES directive, would help them tap into the potential.

Based on a similar level of ambition as that of the EU member states, the study calculates an overall EnC RES share of 24% in 2020. Binding national renewables targets would vary from 19% in Montenegro to 36% in Albania.

The target mainly depends on countries' current shares of renewable energy. Thanks to their higher share of renewables in 2005 - 17% against the EU's 8.5% - the overall proposed target for the seven contracting parties (excluding Moldova) would be higher than the EU's own overall target of 20%.

Nonetheless, the overall EnC increase of 7% from the 2005 position compares to an average 11.5% increase for the EU, due to the latter's higher GDP per capita and hence higher 'residual effort'. Still, meeting the EU target means EnC countries using more costly technologies. Achieving target increases in the proportion of renewable energy in the total energy mix would also be difficult as EnC countries have been forecasting continued annual energy consumption growth of 2-4% until 2020. The survey further notes that there has been negligible growth in renewables in the last decade. Achieving mandatory targets also requires a radical policy rethink as to how required extra RES energy will be sourced – whether from domestic resources or joint initiatives. A new policy approach for EnC would further entail new legal and regulatory measures, including revised support schemes.

Adoption unlikely in 2010

Despite the professed enthusiasm for adopting the 2009 RES Directive, not only on the part of the Energy Community Secretariat and the European Commission, but also amongst contracting parties, adoption is unlikely in 2010. EnC Secretariat Director Slavtcho Neykov cites statistical problems, notably due to the inconsistency of data collection and measurement methods. This might pose serious problems when establishing the starting point upon which renewable targets would be based. "I regret to note that due to the uncertainty of the statistical data for 2005, a proposal to the Energy Community Ministerial Council to adopt the new RES Directive in 2010 is not expected," said Neykov in a statement.

Neykov adds that the EnC needs to be realistic. "If the 2005 baseline calculations are too high, then we might set a too ambitious target for RES in 2020," he said. The EnC Secretariat is thus considering whether to commission a further study aimed at collecting better data as well as subsequently re-evaluating the methodology for the 2005 baseline calculations. Unlike in the EU, the EnC contracting parties did not record energy statistics in a harmonised manner in 2005. Whilst the study authors believe that figures for 2005 are "broadly" consistent and "sufficiently" robust for the purposes of the target calculation, biomass data pose a problem.

Costs and jobs

The study additionally details that the 24% share of renewables could be achieved by an increase of 2.5 GW in new wind and 1 GW in new hydro capacities. This, however, requires the renewable energy target for heating being met entirely from biomass. Following a business-as-usual scenario case, costs would then run up to €5.4 billion. Under an alternative scenario, with lower energy demand and more effective energy efficiency policies, costs could be cut to €3.1 billion.

In a communiqué, the EnC picked up from the survey that adoption of the RES Directive would create 10,000 to 167,000 full-time equivalent jobs in the region, primarily in the electricity sector. However, whilst the study predicts total job gains thanks to a switch to renewables, losses in coal and lignite sectors remain significant. These losses could swing between 3,000 to 21,700 jobs, depending on the scenario chosen. Whilst obviously lower than the overall job gains, the regional concentration of job losses in the coal and lignite sectors would pose a considerable political challenge to already economically challenged EnC governments.

To trade or not to trade

For companies looking to invest in renewables in the EnC region, the report also highlights the legal certainty as to the question of whether or not EnC countries would be counted as third countries in the RES Directive. The study authors estimate excess hydro and wind capacity potential in the EnC costing up to €25 billion to build. Working out at over €100 per MWh of electricity produced on a levelised cost basis, and if less than more expensive off-shore wind or solar PV in the EU, EnC RES could be economically attractive, particularly for those EU member states with lower resource potentials. Still, the EnC will be competing with renewables from third countries. It is also not entirely clear whether, under Article 9 of the RES Directive, EnC countries could use the statistical transfer provisions. If so, physical transfer would not be required and low interconnector capacity between the EnC and EU would not be a constraint on RES exports.

Background

The Energy Community (EnC) defines itself as a "process" extending the EU's internal energy market to the South-East Europe region. The EnC Treaty entered into force on 1 July 2006. Contracting parties are Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Kosovo. Moldova acceded on 1 July 2010. Having finally passed a required gas law, Ukraine should also soon join. The report notes individual targets (with 2005 figures in brackets) as being 36% for Albania in 2020 (up from 29.3% in 2005), 33% for Bosnia and Herzegovina (26.5%), 20% for Croatia (12.6%), 21% for Macedonia (12.8%), 30% for Montenegro (23%), 19% for Serbia (12.9%) and 34% for Kosovo (27.8%). Indicative renewable energy targets were also mentioned for Moldova (10% in 2020 compared to 3.7% in 2005), Turkey (25% vs 15.6%) and Ukraine (8% vs 1.9%).

Copyright © 2008 Europolitics. Tous droits réservés
trokit ketu

L - N
Thu Jun 24 2010, 08:13am
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

Trans Adriatic Pipeline route refined

Thu, 24 June 2010
Albanian Ministers and government officials have approved the revised route of the 520 km Trans Adriatic Pipeline (TAP) through Albania.

In June 2009, local and international engineers began refining the pipeline route to avoid impacting the Hotova National Park and other environmentally significant areas and cultural heritage sites.

Six different route options were considered, but the final route was selected as it has minimal impact on forests and avoids all cultural heritage sites. It will also be shorter and easier to construct than the route identified during the basic engineering phase.

Having received government approval, TAP will now meet with 400 local stakeholders and 60 non-government organisations in regional workshops, and begin working on the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment.

The TAP Gas Pipeline will originate near Thessaloniki, Greece, and cross Albania and the Adriatic Sea, before ending near Brindisi, Italy. The pipeline will have an initial capacity of 10 Bcm/a, and is intended to enhance the security of European gas supply.

Source: pipelinesinternational.com
trokit ketu

L - N
Thu Jun 24 2010, 08:17am
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

Albania: One step forward to privatize Albpetrol

bne - 23.06.2010
Minister of Economy, Trade and Energy, Mr. Dritan Prifti received the representatives of American Patton Boggs LLP, which will be the company that will perform the role of the international consultant for the privatization of state-owned Albpetrol oil Company, local news reported.

Prifti stressed the fact that the contract set a deadline of six months, during which Patton Boggs LLP must complete the valuation process and submit a draft formula about the privatization ways. The company already conducted consultancy about the privatization of oil-process company ARMO, now privatized.

trokit ketu

Albania has potential to become one of important touristic attraction countries

Balkan Business News Correspondent in Tirana - 23.06.2010
Albanian tourist market may be a touristic attraction this year, in a time of an economic crisis in developed countries, where international tourism market is very interested into exploration of ‘good and cheap’
destinations, the Albanian Telegraphic Agency reported.

According to the Agency the Albanian tourist operators believe this is an ideal chance for Albanian tourism market, because it is a close destination for Western countries tourism market.

This opportunity can be better explored through coordinating and organizing tourist promotion through various marketing tools, the head of Albanian Tourist Operators Union, Sadik Malaj said for the agency.

Malaj added that we should promote Albania through presenting potentials and advantages of Albanian beaches, progress in road infrastructure development, as well as increase of number of hotels along the Albanian Riviera.[/center]

trokit ketu

[ Edited Thu Jun 24 2010, 08:40am ]

L - N
Tue Jun 29 2010, 11:20am
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

Albania Receives 2010 United Nations Award

Balkan Business News Correspondent in Tirana - 29.06.2010

Albania was recognized by the United Nations for its contribution to improving transparency, accountability and responsiveness in the public sector last week. Albania's Public Procurement Agency was awarded the 2nd place prize for Public Service in Europe for the development of an electronic procurement platform, made possible through the MCC Albania Threshold Program administered by USAID.

The electronic procurement platform is a web-based application that enables secure transactions among Albanian public institutions and the national and international business communities. It offers a secure, efficient and transparent preparation and administration of all tender-related documents, removing unnecessary paper work and providing secure data flow throughout the entire process. The e-procurement system has reduced administrative costs associated with procurements by 15%, increased competitiveness, and introduced transparency, bringing Albania into full EU compliance for e-procurement.

Albania is the first country in the world to develop an obligatory electronic procurement system for 100% for all public sector procurements above the threshold of 3000 Euro. Source; US Aid

trokit ketu

[ Edited Tue Jun 29 2010, 11:21am ]

L - N
Fri Jul 09 2010, 04:37pm
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

Albania points to the decision for construction of eolic parks and approval of studies for construction sites for several hydro-power stations

Balkan Business News Correspondent in Tirana - 09.07.2010
Premier Berisha chaired ,this week, the meeting of Territorial Adjustment Council of Republic of Albania (TACRA), which reviewed and approved several important decisions in the field of energy. Premier Berisha, at the same time chairman of TACRA, pointed to the decisions for construction of eolic parks and approval of studies for construction sites for several hydro-power stations. Following are the decisions approved by TACRA:

1. The task for project of a master plan for construction, installation and exploitation of the eolic energy plant “KAPPET” in Commune of Çerrava, Vreshtas, Qender Bilisht, Korça District.

2. The task for project and master plan for Energy and Eolic Park in Kryevidh, Tirana District.

Regarding the eolic park in Kryevidh, Premier Berisha, taking into consideration the fact that this area is suitable for construction of wind parks, urged the guaranty for elimination of acoustic pollution, in respect of priority of this area for tourism. The distance of the turbines – said the Premier – should allow zero noise from tourist areas. We will not accept any noise from the Park in one of the most beautiful areas, such as Spille, etc. The Premier stressed that this request is valid for the entire coast and all the tourist companies.

Investment for construction of this park amounts to 144 million euro.

3. Construction site for hydro-power station of Sasaj, in Commune of Lukova

The hydro power station of Sasaj envisages the construction of a 2.35 km tunnel and a generating capacity of about 38 million kW/hour of energy per year.

TACRA backed the request of the Premier and Technical Secretariat for providing the building of the hydro power station with a beautiful architectural view, being in harmony with the tourist area of Lukova.

4. The town planning study and construction site for hydro power stations of “Bele1”, “Bele2”, “Orgjost i ri”, “Topojan 1”, “Topojan 2”, in the communes of Zapod and Topojan, Kukes District.

The hydro power stations, an investment of 30 million euro, will have an installed power of about 25.3 megawatt and a production of about 120 million kW/hour per year.

5. The town planning study and construction site for hydro power station of “Peshk”, Martanesh.

This hydro power station will have an installed power of about 18 million kW/hour of energy per year.

Likewise, TACRA approved:

1. Change to project of cement plant COLACEM, within limits of the site permit approved before.

2. Study on coast deposit, fuel terminal, Village Rinia, Porto Romano, Durres District, with a surface of 31983 m2, investor Europetrol, Durres, Albania. Project includes an about 10 million euro investment. Source; Government

trokit ketu

L - N
Fri Jul 09 2010, 04:38pm
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

International group of investors to launch 1.2 bn euro Albanian tourism project

Balkan Business News Correspondent in Tirana - 09.07.2010
Albania’s Prime Minister Sali Berisha met a group ofrepresentatives of investors in the Gose Island tourism project to beconstructed in the Gose Commune, Kavaja district, headed by Mike Wilson.

Large group of investors operating in the fields ofinternational business development, real estate, catering, urban planning,marine civil engineering, banking and financial markets is on a visit toTirana, to launch the resort project Gose Island.

The 1.2 billion euro investment resort will include theconstruction of sport complexes, which will offer accommodation for 30,000holidaymakers, including daily tourism. The project will have a great impact oneconomic development and employment for the entire region.

In the project will be engaged internationallyprestigious partners such as Extreme Hotels, Lovejoy capita, European GolfDesign, Metro Urbe, Real Estate Capital Group, etc.

On Tuesday the Territorial Adjustment Council of Republicof Albania approved the task for project of a general adjustment plan ofVile-Bashtove tourist area, approval of general adjustment plan of this area,as well as partial town planning studies for implementation of this plan,Commune Gose, Kavaja, which includes the project.

Prime Minister Berisha thanked the participants forpresenting such an ambitious project and assured investors of the government'ssupport.

trokit ketu

L - N
Thu Jul 15 2010, 05:35pm
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

EBRD interested in expanding investments in Albania

Balkans Business News Correspondent in Tirana - 15.07.2010
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) has expressed its interest to increase the number of investments in Albania, the local media Albanian Daily News reported.

The EBRD Managing Director for Central and South Eastern Europe Peter Reiniger held a meeting with the Albanian Speaker Jozefina Topalli in Tirana on Tuesday during which he introduced the new EBRD Director for Albania, Fabio Serra.

Reiniger praised the favorable economic climate in Albania as well as the contribution of the Parliament in this frame. He said that the Parliament had had a very important role in the consideration and adoption of a very good legal framework in the interest of the business sector.

The new EBRD Director for Albania said that the country had experienced a noticeable transformation in a short period of time, Albania being the country which had experienced the higher transformation in the entire region.

Topalli thanked the EBRD for the very good cooperation with Albania and pointed out that the Parliament was very interested in the intensification of the dialogue and cooperation with the EBRD.

trokit ketu

L - N
Sun Jul 18 2010, 11:33am
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

World Bank Launches New Partnership Strategy with Albania

16/07/2010 11:07

The FINANCIAL -- The World Bank Group’s Board of Directors on July 15 discussed a new Country Partnership Strategy (CPS) for Albania, which provides the framework for the World Bank Group’s assistance to Albania for 2011-2014.

According to World Bank , the new Strategy is fully aligned with Albania’s National Strategy for Development and Integration and is grounded on a broad and continuous dialogue with the Government of Albania and consultations with all development partners. The new World Bank -International Finance Corporation (IFC) joint CPS envisages financing up to $275 million from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and up to $120-150 million from the IFC over the four-year period.

“Albania is a development success story in many respects, having made remarkable strides in economic and social development over the past decade,” said Jane Armitage, World Bank Country Director and Regional Coordinator for Southeast Europe. “However, like many of its neighbors, Albania now faces a more difficult external environment following the global financial crisis. The World Bank Group has had a long and productive partnership with Albania, and we look forward to continuing our support to help Albania to maintain its strong track record of growth, sound economic management and poverty reduction.”

Armitage emphasized that, “The new Country Partnership Strategy aims to support a recovery in Albania’s growth rates through improving competitiveness, while also improving education and health services and strengthening the safety net. In addition, the Strategy will assist Albania to meet the new challenge of climate change, through improving water conservation and management and increasing disaster preparedness.”

Over the past decade, Albania has been one of the fastest-growing countries in Europe, with average annual growth rates of 6 percent, accompanied by rapid reductions in poverty. Albania is one of a very few countries in Europe to maintain positive growth rates and financial stability in 2009 during the throes of the global financial and economic crisis. Going forward, Albania, in particular, faces a number of important challenges on account of the slower recovery in Europe and the uncertainties facing the Greek economy – a major economic partner.

“Building on the previous successful cooperation of IBRD-IFC joint interventions in critical sectors, such as energy,” said George Konda, Principal Economist in the Southern Europe and Central Asia Department of the International Finance Corporation (IFC), “the IBRD and IFC have cooperated since the inception of this Strategy for a programmatic approach, with a focus on important sectors for the sustainable development of the country, including energy, roads, water supply, and waste management sectors, as well as improving the business environment.”

The new Strategy will support Albania’s development and help with key challenges, such as: consolidating its fiscal position to be able to weather the coming years; further improving the efficiency of public spending while addressing the still large infrastructure needs; improving the implementation of regulatory and institutional reforms to boost competitiveness and investment; raising education levels and skills to meet the demand from businesses; and strengthening social safety nets and key health services to ensure that the poor are protected from economic fluctuations. In addition, Albania is among the European countries most vulnerable to climate change, and needs to better manage its water resources and usage to changing climatic conditions.

The joint World Bank Group CPS program focuses on three strategic objectives:

Supporting a recovery in Albania’s growth rates through improved competitiveness, by strengthening macroeconomic and public expenditure management, improving the business climate, affordably addressing infrastructure bottlenecks, and deepening access to credit;

Broadening and sustaining social gains by improving education and health services and establishing an adequate safety net; and

Reducing vulnerability to climate change by improving water conservation and management and increasing disaster preparedness.

The new Strategy aims at a more focused lending program. It is a coordinated and complimentary IBRD-IFC engagement in the national infrastructure, including energy and roads; municipal infrastructure, mainly water supply and solid waste management; and the business environment. The new program also reflects a sub-regional focus in the Western Balkans and South-East Europe especially in energy, transport, and disaster management.

The CPS program will also continue to support governance improvements in Albania through the use of a ‘governance filter’ for all Bank-financed operations in order to promote improvements in public expenditure management, administrative, and transparency improvements across government structures.

Albania’s Development Results

During the implementation of the Country Assistance Strategy (CAS) for 2006-2010, Albania saw rapid economic growth accompanied by an impressive decline in poverty. Nearly half of Albanian’s poor were lifted out of poverty between 2002 and 2008.

In 2008, Albania has achieved middle income status and graduated from International Development Assistance (IDA) concessional lending to IBRD lending, sending a positive signal to investors and capital markets.

Albania has taken important steps to upgrade the regulatory framework for business. This is reflected in the improving ‘Doing Business’ indicators and ranking. Albania moved from 136th in 2007 to 82nd in 2010. For the first time, in 2008, Albania was among the top 10 global reformers who made doing business easier.

CAS activities aimed at poverty reduction and rural development were very successful in raising agricultural productivity through improved irrigation and technologies, as well as helping to conserve Albania’s remaining forest resources and bringing income to remote communities. Indeed during 2005 and 2008, Albania saw a more rapid reduction in rural poverty that has helped to significantly narrow the rural-urban gap.

The CAS program has been instrumental in supporting critical reforms in public expenditure management, including a new budget law, procurement law and public investment management procedures, and privatization of the electricity distribution company.

Albania became a member of the World Bank in 1991. Since then, 68 projects totaling US$1.4 billion have been supported by IDA and IBRD, and 10 projects totaling US$185 million by IFC. Currently in Albania there are 15 active projects in social sector, health, education, natural resources, water and energy, municipal infrastructure, and public sector management that are helping Albania to achieve sustainable economic and social development and pave the way for European integration.

© 2007 The FINANCIAL, Business News & Multimedia.
trokit ketu

L - N
Fri Jul 30 2010, 06:17am
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

BERS interessata ad accrescere investimenti in Albania

Wednesday, 28 July 2010 13:30

La Banca Europea per la Ricostruzione e lo Sviluppo ha espresso nei giorni scorsi il
proprio interesse ad aumentare il numero di investimenti in Albania. Il Managing Director della Banca per l´Europa Centrale e Sud-Orientale Peter Reiniger ha recentemente incontrato la Speaker del Parlamento Albanese Jozefina Topalli, evento in occasione del quale ha presentato il nuovi direttore di BERS per l´Albania, Fabio Serra.
Reiniger ha sottolineato lo stato favorevole del clima economico in Albania, e il contributo dato dal Parlamento per creare questo scenario positivo, sottolineando l´importante ruolo svolto dal Parlamento nell´introduzione di un complesso normativo efficace nell´interesse del mondo delle imprese.

Il nuovo Direttore di Bers per l´Albania ha affermato che il Paese ha vissuto un notevole cambiamento in un breve periodo di tempo: l´Albania è stata la Nazione che ha sperimentato le maggiori trasformazioni nell´intera regione. Topalli da parte sua ha ringraziato la BERS per l´ottima collaborazione con l´Albania, sottolineando che il Parlamento mantiene alto l´interesse per l´intensificazione del dialogo e della cooperazione con la Banca Europea per la Ricostruzione e lo Sviluppo.

Marcello Berlich

© Copyright 2009, All Rights Reserved
trokit ketu
[/blockquote]

L - N
Fri Jul 30 2010, 06:21am
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

Fair promotes Kosovar products in Albania

Albania 28.07.2010, 09:51
The fair "Kosovo Business Days in Albania”, organized by the Investment Promotion Agency of Kosovo (IPAK) and the Kosovo Business Alliance (KBA) has promoted Albanian Kosovar products in Albania from 26 to 28 July.

KBA's Chairman, Agim Shahini said that this fair is organized for the first time in Albania and aims to strengthen the economic cooperation between the two countries. A similar fair was held some time ago in Montenegro.

The recently opened highway linking the port of Durres with the border of Kosovo and the construction begin of the Kosovar part of the highway is expected to boost the economic cooperation and have a very positive effect in the investment climate in Kosovo.

Source:Copyright 2003-2010 trokit ketu
trokit ketu

[ Edited Fri Jul 30 2010, 06:23am ]

L - N
Sat Jul 31 2010, 11:25am
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

USAID and National Geographic promote Albania and Balkan Neighbors

Balkan Business News Correspondent - 27.07.2010
Albania is one of six countries featured in a special supplement of the June edition of National Geographic Traveler Magazine.

“The Western Balkans: Land of Discovery” showcases the natural, historical and cultural treasures of the region. The supplement was provided to tour operators and businesses at a reception held today in Tirana. Minister of Tourism, Culture, Youth and Sports, Ferdinand Xhaferaj, USAID/Albania Mission Director, Joseph C. Williams, and the Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Edith Harxhi delivered remarks at the event.

“Cut off from the rest of the world for 50 years, Albania is still largely unknown outside of Europe and has had difficulties overcoming negative stereotypes related to poverty, corruption, and crime and unlike its Balkan neighbors, Albania has had to address significant disadvantages, namely its poor infrastructure, unplanned urban development, and lack of investments,” said Williams at the event. “More must and can be done to preserve Albania’s cultural heritage, conserve natural resources, and protect precious archeological and historical monuments.”

Both regionally and at the country-level, USAID is helping to promote Albania’s image as an inviting and unique tourist destination. Last month, the National Geographic Traveler magazine published a 47-page supplement on the Western Balkans, with photos and articles on the history, cuisines, and culture of Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia. The supplement accompanied the June 2010 English-language issue of National Geographic Traveler Magazine distributed to over 220,000 subscribers in the United Kingdom, Netherlands, and Germany.

Copies of the publication are available through the National Tourism Agency, the Albanian Tourism Association and USAID’s Rritje Albania project for foreign tour operators and Albanian embassies and consulates to promote Albania and regional tour packages.

Tourism is recognized as an important sector of Albania’s economy, with the possibility of reaching small and medium enterprises in the more remote and poverty stricken areas of the country. Source; USAID

trokit ketu

L - N
Wed Aug 04 2010, 04:41pm
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

Spotlight on Albania Real Estate Marketplace-Balkimo

Spotlight on Albania Real Estate Marketplace-Balkimo
Balkans Business News Correspondent in Tirana - 02.08.2010
Balkimo recent Residential market report in Albania states that with steady but continuous economic growth in Albania, the past decade has witnessed a surge in urban regeneration with the construction of many new residential developments in the main cities. The ‘New Urban Market’ has been fuelled by people’s demands for higher quality and newer properties and the clients for this market have predominantly been investors and the local market with new wealth as opportunities and new businesses have flourished.

As Albania’s economy and growth as a tourist destination has recently flourished, a different property market which is relatively new to the country has emerged. The ‘Tourist’ and in some cases ‘Second Home’ market has begun. Predominantly these new markets have been initiated and dominated by early coastal developments and with them have come not only the new Albanians with money but also foreign purchasers.

With steady but continuous economic growth in Albania, the past decade has witnessed a surge in urban regeneration with the construction of many new residential developments in the main cities. The ‘New Urban Market’ has been fuelled by people’s demands for higher quality and newer properties and the clients for this market have predominantly been investors and the local market with new wealth as opportunities and new businesses have flourished.
As Albania’s economy and growth as a tourist destination has recently flourished, a different property market which is relatively new to the country has emerged. The ‘Tourist’ and in some cases ‘Second Home’ market has begun. Predominantly these new markets have been initiated and dominated by early coastal developments and with them have come not only the new Albanians with money but also foreign purchasers.
New large urban residential developments outsideTirana have dominated themarket in the past 12 months as it is difficult to obtain building permit siide the capital.

On the coast local builders not really concerned or aware of market demand are still constructing the typical eight storey mid quality building with aprtments averaging 75sqm. Nevertheless, in 2008/2009 a small number of international developers have been expanding their businesses in Albania. Large vacation resorts are planned by foreign investors and will come to fruition in the next years.

In general urban demand remains weak even if first home ownership is the incentive for most local buyers with off-plan apartments forming the bulk of sales.

Like in many other Eastern European countries, the prices in Albania are denominated in Euros and all transaction are completed in Euros. New high-end residential developments in Tirana centre maintain the highest asking prices with the gold medal at €2’750/sqm. In the mid-market prices for new apartments range from €500-800/sqm. Most projects have similar pricing irrespective of the size, quality or location, which is a sign that the market is still developing.

The mid-market forms the majority of property transactions. More expensive apartment’s average from€1’200-1’600 per square meter, many of them have remained on the market for long periods, representing a downward trend when compared to past years.

Looking ahead we estimate that urban residential prices areset to continue a downturn pattern taking values back to the level they were some years ago. On the other hand, well priced and well located coastal properties are facing continuous demand. Source; Balkimo

trokit ketu

L - N
Thu Oct 07 2010, 04:19pm
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

The Islamic Development Bank approves millions for Albania

Arab News - 07.10.2010

The Islamic Development Bank (IDB) on Tuesday approved $772.3 million for new development projects in nine member countries. The decision was taken at a meeting of IDB's Board of Executive Directors which was chaired by group president Ahmad Mohamed Ali.

As per the decision, Indonesia, Uzbekistan, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sudan, Turkmenistan, Gambia, Mauritania, and Albania will receive funds for a variety of projects. Five of the nine projects approved are considered as mega projects.

trokit ketu

L - N
Thu Oct 07 2010, 04:23pm
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

Landis+Gyr and CEZ plan to enter the Albanian market

Balkans Business News Correspondent in Tirana - 07.10.2010
Landis+Gyr, the world's leading provider of integrated energy management solutions, on tuesday, announced it has been selected by the CEZ Group, a Czech utility, for three distinct energy projects. Landis+Gyr is to conduct CEZ's first residential smart metering pilot project in the Czech Republic. The two companies will also establish multi-energy metering in the Czech ICG sector and enter the Albanian market with Landis+Gyr's SuperConverge, the largest industrial, commercial and grid meter data system in Europe.
Landis+Gyr will supply 10,000 smart meters for the CEZ Group's 40,000 metering point pilot project in the Czech Republic. Moreover, the company's Gridstream solution, including head-end software and Meter Data Management System for data processing will be deployed for the whole project.
The ICG projects build upon the existing SuperConverge contract between Landis+Gyr and CEZ, essentially doubling the 43,000 metering points it currently operates throughout the Czech Republic, Romania and Bulgaria to reach a total of 85,000 discrete meters.
Jaroslav Hendrych, Country Manager at Landis+Gyr in the Czech Republic says, "These three new opportunities to work with such a long-standing and respected customer like the CEZ Group are a major accomplishment. We are looking forward to seeing the outcome of the smart metering pilot project, which could lead to the development of a smart grid environment here in the Czech Republic. The additional ability to expand the SuperConverge system to Czech multi-energy utilities and into a new and developing market such as Albania will deliver excellent benefits to all."
Martin Michek, Commercial Director of CEZ Mereni, says: "In autumn 2010, a multi-energy pilot project for the Czech heating industry was launched and it is due to be complete by the end of the year. The rollout of data acquisition and processing from heat meters belonging to the CEZ Group will begin in 2011. The rollout of SuperConverge in Albania follows the successful launch and operation of the data central station in Romania and Bulgaria. SuperConverge is being integrated gradually to the CEZ Group's IT systems and we are confident it will result in higher quality metering services. We highly appreciate the present cooperation with Landis+Gyr. From our suppliers we require a professional attitude, individual approach and a fast solution. These parameters are covered definitely by Landis+Gyr." Landis+Gyr is participating in each of the three smart metering pilot projects currently occurring throughout the Czech Republic, which has 5.5 million electricity metering points. The CEZ Group owns 3.5 million of these points, and its pilot project is the most extensive. Source: Landis+Gyr

trokit ketu

L - N
Thu Oct 07 2010, 04:33pm
Registered Member #1228

Albanian Economy

US foundation pledges $140 million for Albania

(AP) – 2 hours ago

TIRANA, Albania — A U.S.-backed investment corporation says it has raised $140 million to fund projects in tourism and education.

The Albanian-American Enterprise Fund says it will use the money for nonprofit ventures in former Communist Albania including entrepreneurship and eco-tourism.

The AAEF was started in 1995, with a $30 million grant from the U.S. government.

The Fund's chairman Michael Granoff announced the new investment projects Thursday.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
trokit ketu

Go to page  1 2 3  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF